Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reverently and Meekly Now

Have you ever had those moments where you just beat yourself up over things in the past? You just get to thinking and you say to yourself way to go, self... you screwed that one up. I'd been having that with the past few days, more intensely this morning as I was getting ready to go to church. I tried to get out of my funk because I had 4 darling 3 year olds I had to play with for 2 hours in Primary and I needed to be in a good mood. When my family and I got to the chapel, I looked over my mom's shoulder to see what was on the program and saw that for the Sacrament hymn, we were singing Reverently and Meekly Now. That hymn has become my favorite over the past year and a half or so. One of my former roommates had pointed out that a sister missionary in her mission observed that it was the only hymn in the hymnboook written from the Saviors perspective. I immediately fell in love with it and have treasured it as it has helped me through many hard days.
As we sang it today, I tried to pay attention to the words that were in the hymn and I love it more now. I especially love the last 2 verses of the hymn because it really talks about the relationship that the Savior wants to have with each of us and how we need to become like him.
Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy bretheren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be;
E'en forgiven now by me.
In the solmen faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirits grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee
At the throne I intercede;
For thee ever do I plead.
I have loved thee as thy friend,
With a love that cannot end.
Be obedient I implore,
Prayerful, watchful evermore,
And be constant unto me,
That thy Savior I may be.
I am so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and for all that He does for me. I'm grateful for His constant love and continual guidance even when I fumble here and there. I'm grateful for the Atonement and the amazing gift it is in my life. I'm continuing to understand the fulness of the Atonement and how better to become like the greatest Example we all have to follow.

3 comments: