Sunday, December 18, 2011

THE Reunion

Hey my wonderful readers! Over a week has past since the big even happened and I feel it's now time {rather, I actually have time} to blog about it. Aaaaand I have a surprise for you all!! My wonderful man that I waited for is going to help me tell the story!!! {hi TJ!} My narrative shall be in regular type and his shall be in italics. Say hi Honey...HI!
He will talk lots more I promise! On to the story of the blessed day of December 8th, 2011.
First of all, let me say how honored I am to be able to participate in the writing of this, the story of stories {for us, anyway}. Aside from all the days and weeks and months preceeding Dec. 8th, in which I HIGHLY anticipated meeting this girl at the temple for the first time in two years, I think a definite beginning came the night before, as I realized, "Holy Moses, I'm going to see her TOMORROW. ONE MORE DAY." I was still on the missionary clock so I had to lay that thought aside for a bit. Needless to say, the thought wouldn't give up and came to me many a time between then and the next night.
I slept less-than-restfully (but was more than happy to lose sleep over the occasion). Woke up, piled into the van with the other soon-to-be RM's to go to the airport, checked in, etc...flew to Atlanta, and had to say goodbye to two best friends before they left to wait at their gate. I felt a bit of sorrow saying goodbye because I knew I was saying goodbye, little by little, to the most important thing I'd ever done...but then had a bit of alone time to imagine her to whom I'd soon say hello. I waited less-than-patiently on the 4-hr flight to Phoenix, got to see Mom&Family, and (of course) secretly missed someone I wished I could be seeing. "Just a few hours away," I told myself. "She waited for me...We've made it...just a few hours longer."
Meanwhile.... I was increasingly becoming more and more a nervous wreck because MY MAN WAS COMING HOME!!!! I thankfully was able to sleep the night before by staying up late watching CSI:NY with my dad. I woke up a bit early in the morning and headed to the temple to do baptisms one last time before Taylor came home. Much to my dismay... the temple was closed! Whaaaaa?! Yeah... I was not happy in the least bit. I ended up walking around the temple nearly freezing and drove myself back to the house and changed into street clothes. After I had changed, I had to get my Rachel {my lovely car... why have I not posted about her yet?!} cleaned so that she wouldn't be a righteous mess when she and Taylor were introduced. Once she was washed, I headed to the mall to try to do some shopping... key word is try here... I ended up just walking around the mall for close to 2 hours, while being constantly texted by loving and supportive friends {especially Kendahl}. It was so odd to think that I was no longer counting down the days but the hours until I would be seeing him again! As each minute passed, the realization of my dreams for the past 2 years was setting in and I became more and more anxious to see him already.
1:18pm HE LANDED!!!!!!!!!!! or so I thought... nevertheless I got a mass amount of texts informing me of what time it was and what that time meant... How could I not know?! I had become a master time counter over the past year, I knew what time it was! But I appreciated everyones excitement! Once I felt that sufficient time had been wasted walking around the mall... I decided to make my way back to the house while stopping off at a few stores to pick up a few things {this time I for real shopped}. Once I was home... I began to freak out a bit. A lot actually... and decided to do my hair. Which only took me like 45 minutes to do... and I still had 5 more hours to go before he was released. What. the. heck! Thankfully, Kendahl never ceased to text me that entire day. I read my scriptures a bit and took a slight nap... but that was to no avail since people kept texting me congrats... ugh!
Around 5pm, a dear mutual friend of Taylor and I said that she was on her way with another friend to help me get ready. My butterflies were coming up out of my stomach and I could not keep still. I just wanted to see him already!!!! You'd think after 2 years, I would have the patience of a saint... HA! My two friends came over and started putting my face on. I was all nerves and was afraid my friend was going to poke my eye out with eyeliner from me trying to keep still. Out of nowhere, one of my friends ran over to me with my phone in my hand and it was vibrating... someone was calling. I saw his glorious face on the caller id and said ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah.... legit freaking out was finally happening! I answered and his mom's voice was on the other line saying she was calling in behalf of Taylor. I just about lost it. I didn't care really why she was calling because I knew why, I was just so happy to know she was calling for him. She wanted to make sure that I was still good to meet at the temple. I had to control myself from exuberantly exclaiming OF COURSE!!!! so what came out was "yeah I was still planning on going over there after he's released." She said that he would call me after he was released to give me the go. After we hung up, I had to pause the face-putting-on since tears were starting to make their way... and lets be honest, I had waterproof eyeliner AND mascara but I was taking no chances! It was really happening! Holy freaking cow!
Finishing touches were done on the face and hair and I then changed into the outfit I had planned for about a year in advance {us MG's do that type of thing... we're kinda excited for this day}. Everything looked great and I felt totally spoiled and a bag of nerves at the same time... at least I was a great looking bag of nerves. The girls decided to head to Arbys to kill time before the call... I hate Arbys. 'Nough about that. The fries I hungrily scarfed down were only because I had not eaten a single thing that day. I was grossed out... but whtvr. My right state of mind had been checked out a long time ago that day. After they were finished eating, we made our way to the temple thinking we could just hang out at the Visitors Center and wait for the call. We were 30 seconds from a parking space when.... THE BLESSED CALL CAME!!!!!!!! Hallelujah! His beautiful voice filled my ears and I almost dropped my phone. "Hey Honey. This is Eld... I mean Brother Brady." I kept saying ohmygosh over and over again on the phone... I was talking to him in real time! I didn't have to wait months for a reply on a tape cassette... I was talking to him on the phone. He told me that he had just been released and was on his way to the temple.
We finally parked in the parking lot across from the temple grounds and I immediately jumped out of the car. I had to wait for my friends to get situated and finally I asked one if I could go already and she said yes. I was off! In my boots, I still outwalked two girls taller than me. I was a woman on a mission to see her man! Nothing was going to hold me back. It was sinking in more now than ever that I was actually going to be seeing him. This figment of my imagination was becoming a reality once again.
I was relieved when I found out I'd be released at 7:15...plenty of time to go see my Marlee before the end of the night. Everything went perfectly...A few hours with the family, a bit of unpacking, return and report with the stake president, and then...I grabbed the keys (real smooth driving my mom's car) and made the call. I couldn't help but sigh as I heard her try to control herself on the phone, knowing how happy she was. Best day of my life, so far :) Then I was off. I suddenly had a bone to pick with whoever established the city speed limits, but got there at last. After a short walk, I finally saw her...extatic, beautiful...I felt on the inside the way she looked on the outside. She ran to me, I threw my arms around her & pickerd her up, and just like that, we were done waiting.
I got to the place where we agreed we'd meet and had to wait... ever more patiently to see him. We had no idea which side he would come from and my phone was going off the hook! My friends were taking test shots to get the lighting and settings right on the camera and I just rocked back and forth. I kept saying ohmygoshohmyogoshohmygoshohmygosh and trying not to freak out too terribly. Those 10 minutes had been the longest 10 minutes I had ever waited during the entire 2 years. I needed to see him as soon as possible. Suddenly, I looked to my right past two pillars and saw his shillouette... I had not forgotten what his walk looked like after all this time. My soul filled with delight and inexpressible joy as I saw the man I had waited for come my way. He looked amazing! He looked no longer like the boy I had fallen for over 2 1/2 years ago but he now looked like the man I had grown together with 2,000 miles away. The man I had become even better best friends with and grown even more deeply in love with over the 2 years was coming home to me. I began to walk to him and thought "why are you not running?!!!" So I began to run and I jumped into those arms that had been my support and protection for so long; the arms I had longed to be in for 736 days. I said to him "you're real! Oh my gosh! You're real!" He whispered back "Yes I am! I am never letting your feet touch the ground ever again." I hung there close to his body soaking in the moment that he was home at last. He was really... really home. Once I was back on the ground, I buried my face into his chest and cried tears of complete joy. My best friend was back and he was all mine. My friend continued to take pictures and Taylor kept saying "I love you" and "you are even more beautiful! How did this happen?!" (I was freaking out when I saw how good she looked ;) But soon much more cconcerned with just being able to hold her.) We finally pulled from each others embrace and kissed. Our first kiss in 2 years! How I had missed those lips {2 minute club ladies ;)}. Taylor then said hi to our friends while still holding on to me... we were now fused at the hip, never to leave each others side. We decided to walk around the temple grounds and look at the lights but... I honestly was not looking at the lights. I still couldn't believe I was holding his hand and looking at his face. We would stop and look at each other and just look into the other's eyes and live in the moment. We made our way to the Visitor's Center and listened to the Christus presentation; I had both arms wrapped around his arm and sat as close to him as possible. He was finally home...
After the presentation, we went to Dairy Queen for hot chocolate and blizzards. We all walked back to the cars, Taylor and I hand in hand, stealing glances from one another and getting to know one another again. Taylor and I went back to his house to pick up my last ever letter and he drove me back home. Saying goodbye that night was the hardest... I had just gotten my Honey back... and now I had to say goodbye again?! You kidding me?! Oh well... I did... and I was too excited to see him again the next day and the day after.... and many days after!
Life with him back home has been an adjustment but a wonderful adjustment. I have a man who insists on taking care of me endlessly and loves me unconditionally. Taylor was quite mature when he left for the mission but he turned into a real man by the time he came home. Our relationship has even more depth to it and we have a truer and deeper lasting love for one another. Waiting for Taylor Jordan Brady was the best decision I have ever made! They really do come home and it really is as if he never left! As we were at the temple the following Sunday, it really hit me how it feels so natural to be with him again and how everything is how it was before... only better! I do not regret a single moment I spent waiting for him because of all that I had learned during that time. The Lord knew who he would become at the end of the mission and I'm so grateful for the divine support I had felt during my hard times while waiting. He was definitely worth the wait and I would do it all over again!

4 comments:

  1. Omygoodness. Omygoodness. This seriously made me cry. So much inspiration! I'm so excited for both of you! Also, I love that you had Taylor write his POV as well, Marlee! I may steal that idea from you when my man comes home. =) If that's alright. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this for so long and it did not disappoint :) I am so happy for you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved every moment of this. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to read both of your side's of the story, it puts my wondering at ease of how it was for TJ that night. I am so happy that we got to be a part of that night it was so beautiful I couldn't help but tear up. (I just wish I would have known Arby's wasn't a favorite of yours. :) )
    In that one moment when the two of you reconnected for the first time I could honestly say it was the most beautiful thing I've seen in years. I wish you both many blessed memories and years together in the future. The waiting has finally paid off. I'm so happy for you both!!!
    Love you both,
    Carrie (and Michael)

    ReplyDelete